Dune by Frank Herbert - it's a Sci-Fi and I've never really seriously read any of that genre so thought I'd give it a whirl. It is odd - in so much as there is a whole mini dictionary of terms in the back that you need to look up words to completely understand what's going on - but I'm persevering...
Add what book you are currently reading and what you think of it!
Happy Reading :)
Add what book you are currently reading and what you think of it!
Happy Reading :)
I am reading 'Sons and Lovers' by D H Lawrence. Its about a mother who has a horrible husband and concentrates too much of her time on her children, with bad consequences. I chose it as the blurb sounded similar to a psychology theory we were learning in my class. However, it is taking quite a long time to get into the sotry, and is just describing the setting and the husband's personality at the moment, so I am unsure as to whether I am going to carry on the book.
ReplyDeleteLisa x
I am reading 'The Time Travelers Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger for a second time... I read it a few years ago and really enjoyed it :) It is about Henry, a time travaler who is uncontrollably pulled into his past or future at any random time without warning. This causes him and his wife Clare struggling to lead normal lives. It is essentislly a modern take on the traditional, old-fashioned love story. I think it's such a great book because its so original, quirky and gripping and also, the characters are very likeable and convincing. Definitely one of my fave books! ;)
ReplyDeleteEllen x
I am reading An Ice- Cream War by William Boyd, an author whose books I enjoy reading. The story is set during the First World War in the German and British colonies of East Arica and is told by three protagonists- Walter Smith, Felix Cobb and his older brother Gabriel Cobb.
ReplyDeleteWalter Smith, an American ex- patriot, is a coffee farm owner in German East Africa who, before the war, is friends with his German half-English neighbour, Erich von Bishop. However they become enemies when von Bishop sides with the German army. Felix Cobb has returned from University to his family home in Kent, UK. He despises all his fmaily apart from older brother Gabriel, who marries his disdainful sweetheart Charis. Gabriel is on his honeymoon in Normandy when he is called to the armed forces, to fight in the war.
The story is an interesting one as it is an excellent example of the colonisation of East Africa, however is quite dull at parts.
Not one of my favourite books, but an okay one :)
Ruby x
I am reading 'Night World' by LJ Smith she is one of my favourite authors.
ReplyDeleteThe story is about creatures of the night living in a Night World, with the normal people but they don't know the are creatures. They live in a Night World with witches, vampires, shapeshifters, werewolves. There are three stories in each novel, they are all linked together but revolve around different characters. I get into each story straight away and love all the new characters that we meet. The book is very grippingly interesting, each of the stories are completely original and the novels were written in the 90's. The stories move so fast that you just find yourself wanting to find out more.
Tuba x
i am reading 'the heart is decietful above all things' By JT LeRoy. The story is about a the struggles of a prostitute, junkie mother and her dysfunctional relationship with her son and the world in general. It's and interesting novel because it is quite choppy and changes alot, although this makes it difficult to understand in some parts. It is written like a poem, using alot of poetic techniques that would seem out of place in a normal novel.
ReplyDeletegina.
I am reading the House of Night books and I am reading Tempted at the moment. The books are by P.C Cast and Kristin Cast. The book Tempted is about this girl,Zoey RedBird, who attended a school called the House of Night. In this book Zoey and her friends run away from school as they try and escape from Kalona. Kalona was once an angel but he turned evil and is now known as 'the fallen angel'. Kalona believes Zoey is a reincarnation of his lover Aya. Zoey later on returns to the house of night to find that there had been a fight between Kalona and the students, although some weren't brave enough to fight him. The books continues as Zoey and her friends struggle to find a way of killing Kalona and stop him from taking over. I'm getting towards the end of the book and its getting very interesting!! I would read the next book after this but I heard that Zoey dies at the end and the next book is from her best friend, Stevie Rae's point of view.
ReplyDeleteAudrey x
Recently, I read "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. The book was one of my Amazon recommendations and had some really good reviews, so I decided to give it ago. It's about and eighty three year old war veteran who dies whilst trying to save a young girl at the theme park where he works, after his death he meets 5 people who have had a tremendous effect on his life, even if he didn't realise it.
ReplyDeleteI actually really enjoyed the book, there are numerous books out there all written from the point of view of someone who has recently died, yet Albom still managed to create something original and enjoyable. The use of flashbacks helped to build up an idea of the kind of person Eddie was and why he thinks or acts in the way he does, which creates an emotional connection between the reader and Eddie.
At times, I felt sorry for Eddie as his life seemed to have been rather empty and pitiful, however, the book also made me consider how important it is to cherish the precious moments in life. It was sad that Eddie never realised some of the truly amazing things he had done or how he had enriched people’s lives until it was too late; this made me consider how important it is to focus on the positive aspects of a life.
Jo x
I am reading the Lord of the files by William Golding. So far there has been a British plane crashes on an island. The only survivors are under 13year old boys quit few. They start to use their skills to survive. It was surprising how these young boys worked as a team and work thing out. Didn't read that much so can't really tell you more, but have to say I have heard this book so many times by my friends that it is really good and it is true.
ReplyDeleteYoung-Chan
I have just finished reading Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. This novel is quite well known and I was suggested to read it at my last school and have only just got round too! I havent read many war books but I quite enjoyed this one. I like how the novel covers three different time periods. I also enjoyed the different twists that run through the novel!
ReplyDeleteRachel